Asian MSM - Understanding your world
Issues covered by this report include (among others):
- Some Asian men find when accessing supportthat sometimes they don't know support services exist.
- Any promotion and prevention is often in the gay press or in gay bars, which some Asian men do not read or socialise in.
- Some Asian MSM feel that LGB&T specialist services will not understand the problems they face in terms of culture and religious beliefs.
- Due to cultural, religious or family beliefs, many Asian MSM find it difficult to 'come out' and access LGB services.
- Being gay or bisexual is often seen as not acceptable.
- Without the right access to culturally sensitive services and sexual health provision, some Asian MSM will remain hard-to-reach.
- Through the work of RAP, and by listening to the views of Asian MSM, we have been able to develop a range of recommendations, and associated practical tips, for both Commissioners and Providers and also provide an opportunity for workers to learn more about the needs of Asian MSM, in addition enabling and supporting Asian MSM to get involved in services and community initiatives up and down the country
This report aims to help individuals and organisations to become involved and stay involved in addressing the needs of Asian MSM.