Bringing rights to life for LGBT VCOs
The Consortium, in partnership with the British Institute of Human Rights (BIHR), is running a one day course.
How human rights can be used by LGBT organisations:
- to strengthen campaigns
- support advocacy
- negotiate change in policy and service delivery.
Learn more about how human rights can support your work, invigorate your messages and empower the people and communities you work with and for.
By end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Understand what human rights are – the key features, principles and standards of human rights.
- Understand the key features of the international and domestic human rights legal system and be able to explain how this is relevant to LGBT organisations. There will be particular focus on the Human Rights Act.
- Have a deeper understanding of the way the Human Rights Act works in practice – looking specifically at the rights, how they work and how they differ from each other.
- Identify which specific human rights can be applied to a range of LGBT issues and what that might look like in practice.
- The ideas: Introduction to the origins, principles and development of human rights and how they relate to the LGBT sector.
- The law: An overview of human rights law, focussing on international and UK human rights legislation.
- The practice: Exploring the articles of the Human Rights Act and how they relate to LGBT issues in practice using case study work.
- Action: Applying and testing human rights to real case studies and developing an action plan for your organisation.